Great Divide Day 25


Getting up early was much easier knowing we'd make it to our final destination today. We arrived at McDonald's at 4:15 and started pedaling just behind Cameron. 
We had a long, gradual descent and then a flat day ahead of us and the wind gave us a bit of help with a cross/tailwind. We had 20 miles of pavement, 40 miles of gravel, and 65 of pavement to finish up the route. We rode through the desert with cloud cover, another lucky day in New Mexico. 

About 25 miles from Antelope Wells, I looked over my shoulder and saw a white SUV that slowed way down. That must be Andrew's parents. They took pictures and cheered out the window. When they stopped on the road ahead to offer us water, I thought Andrew might want to stop and say hi, but he was on a mission to get to the border and I hung on for dear life. The rest of the time I was staring at Andrew's rear wheel blinking back tears. I was happy and proud to achieve what we did and I'll miss the time riding bikes everyday in the mountains with Andrew. 
Mike and Gary were already at the border sign when we finished and Cameron rolled in right behind us. We exchanged congratulations, hugs, and contact information. 
The Great Divide was an awesome experience. We're glad we started the same day as the Grand Depart because we met some wonderful people. Our bodies are ready for a rest but we'll miss our friends and the mountains. 

Comments

  1. Katie, you are a gifted writer! Thank you for taking the time to capture this incredible adventure! Reading it gave us a glimpse of what these last 25 days were like for you!
    Dan and I loved seeing you begin and accomplish this magnificent feat! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You did it! MX.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie —

    I enjoyed reading the journal of your and Andrew’s adventure. Having crossed some of the same points in my road tours of the Rockies made it even more fun. Congratulations. Keep rollin’! — Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill! I've enjoyed following your tour as well!

      Delete
  4. Hi Katie and Andrew. I really enjoyed reading about your experiences. Thanks for time it took to document it and put it out there for others to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment